Sunday, December 28, 2008

Usher is not only a working dog


Usher started out as a service dog. Don Helsley knew me and my 6 dogs at the time and trusted my training as needing a service dog. He was pretty young here. We started out early. Obedience first. Then learning the stand-stay, to have him help me up when I fell. He also helps me with my balance and controls my tremors by being there to pet.





Usher also retrieves things that I drop, so I don't have to risk bending over to maybe have a fall. He is my best friend. If I drop my keys, pen, lighter, wallet. He will "take it" and hold it in his mouth and sit until I take it from him. (unless their are sheep around) he will gladly pick them up. He is also trained in obedience, although you would NOT know it around sheep.

Next lesson, weather permitting, I would like to get back into the larger field. Work on some longer outruns. Hope my trainer has a "little bit" more trust in me and that things are coming back to me.

After such a long break, I don't even trust myself and my confidence is pretty much shot. But, here's to you, Usher, named correctly, weather you "usher me around, or usher the sheep" you are and will be always my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment